I have been trying a gluten-free diet for Elle, the last two weeks. To try and make the transition a little easier, we have been creating some “yummy” gluten-free dishes! Thankfully, there are many gluten-free options these days, so she hasn’t really noticed!
One of Elle’s favorite dishes is lasagna. I wasn’t able to find gluten-free lasagna at my local grocery store, but my wonderful aunt picked us up some Trader Joe’s Corn Pasta penne. I grabbed some other ingredients I had on hand and made a yummy lasagna-like casserole!
Cheesy Penne Casserole – Gluten-Free!
This dish is super simple to put together.
Boil the pasta while you brown some ground beef and onion in a skillet. For the sauce, I usually like to make it from scratch, but that’s not always an option after a long day at work, so I picked up organic and gluten-free Ragu sauce. To the ground beef, I added the sauce, some garlic and fresh herbs from my garden.
Once the pasta is cooked and the meat sauce is done, you just mix them together in a casserole dish, and top it with freshly-grated mozzarella. Bake on 350 for 30 minutes, and that’s it!
A delicious, hearty and gluten-free meal in under an hour!
Serve it along side a fresh salad or roasted broccoli.
- 8 oz Penne Pasta (gluten-free, if that's your preference)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil penne according to package directions
- In a skillet, add onion and ground beef and cook until browned. Add spaghetti sauce, garlic, oregano and basil and stir until warmed through.
- Drain penne and pour into a 3 qt casserole dish. Top with meat sauce and stir until well combined. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking another 5-10 minutes.
- To make a crispy cheesy crust, leave casserole in oven and turn on broil for 30-60 seconds, keeping watch. Don't let it burn. Remove from oven and enjoy!
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.