It’s that time of year again. The cold weather is setting in, we are spending more time inside, and craving warm, hearty meals. Making soups and stews is one of my favorite ways to pass the time while I’m cooped up inside. One of my favorite soups to make is chicken tortilla soup!
Chicken tortilla soup is a spicy, salty and heart-warming soup that is always a hit in my home. It has the perfect blend of Mexican spices, with chunky bits of chicken, beans and soft tortillas.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 3 tbsp cornmeal
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips
In a large pan, warm 2 tbsp olive oil and cook chicken breasts until cooked through. Remove from heat and dice into 1″ cubes. Set aside
In the same pan, warm remaining olive oil over medium heat and add onion and pepper, cook 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent and peppers are softening. Add in garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add in broth, hot water, green chilies, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and tomato paste. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Whisk together cornmeal with a small amount of water. Slowly add to the soup, stirring until incorporated. Add in pinto beans, then and simmer an extra 15 minutes.
Add in corn tortillas and simmer an additional 5 minutes, before serving.
Garnish with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and/or pico de gallo.
Looking for other Mexican food dishes?
- Calabacitas: Fresh sauteed squash and onions make the perfect side dish!
- Homemade Salsa: Grab a bag of tortilla chips to serve with this homemade roasted salsa as an appetizer!
- Mexican Food Recipes: Still looking for more Mexican food recipes? Here is a list of all of my favorites!