There are so many reasons you should be making your own cleaning products:
- They don’t cause cancer, like commercial cleaners can1
- You’re not putting toxins into the environment
- They’re cheaper to make than to buy
- They don’t irritate your skin or eyes
- They’re kid and pet friendly
- They’re incredibly easy to make
Seriously, it is so easy to make, and I am going to show you how! You may already have all of the ingredients you need in your house!
Items you will need:
- A clean 32-oz spray bottle
- 3 cups of warm water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons baking soda(<– I no longer use baking soda, because I have heard that it can decrease the cleaning properties of the vinegar)
- 10 drops essential oil (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
Add vinegar to spray bottle, followed by water,
baking soda and essential oils. Mix by gently shaking.
I told you it was easy!
Why does it work?
Vinegar has a high acidity level, which makes it an effective mold, bacteria, and germ killer.2 I like to add essential oils to my cleaners, because they offer even more antibacterial, anti-fungal, and disinfectant properties. Here are a few you can choose to include in your homemade cleaners. Add one or several different oils to make your own custom cleaner:
- Melaleuca Essential Oil: Antibacterial and anti-fungal
- Frankincense Essential Oil: Antiseptic
- Lavender Essential Oil: Antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
- Lemon Essential Oil: Degreaser, antibacterial and anti-fungal
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Antiseptic, disinfectant, and insect repellent3
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.