One of my friends, Danielle, wrote a guest post on Natural Living Mamma, sharing a homemade facial cleansing recipe that she uses. She hasn’t had success using the Oil Cleansing Method, but found this recipe works great for her skin. It is a wonderful recipe, and she was kind enough to let me share it on my blog as well!
Honey and Oatmeal Facial Scrub
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 tsp dried lavender (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Run oatmeal through the blender to break it up a bit. You don’t want it be too powdery, just break it up a tiny bit.
- Transfer oatmeal back into the measuring cup.
- Add remaining ingredients. You can also add dried lavender if you have it. This is completely optional. I’ve made it with and without it, and it works great both ways! I just really love lavender!
- Stir to combine all ingredients. It will be a bit crumbly. Add more honey to mixture if necessary to combine.
- Transfer the scrub to a small Tupperware or glass container with a lid.
Use this scrub as you would any other facial scrub/cleanser. Apply olive oil or other moisturizer as needed. One batch should last 2 weeks, if used daily.
Here’s why it works:
- Honey can control and reduce breakouts, it has great moisturizing properties and has antiseptic qualities that can reduce scars and encourage wound healing. 1
- In addition to being a great exfoliant, oatmeal is packed full of healing amino acids, and it’s hypoallergenic and moisturizing.2
- Nutmeg has incredible astringent, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an awesome choice for people with acne-prone skin.
- Lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties, soothing agitated or broken out skin. It also has a calming, pleasant scent.
- Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and immune stimulant properties that help heal and prevent acne and blemishes.
This is a wonderful, healthy and homemade facial cleanser, that I will be incorporating into my daily facial routine. Thanks for sharing Danielle and Natural Living Mamma!!
Danielle lives with her husband, Dan, and 2 year old daughter, Zoey. They currently reside in Central Florida, where their daughter undergoes chemotherapy treatment for leukemia. She enjoys reading, walks, and all things crafty.
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.