I have declared it Elderberry week in my residence, so I have been coming up with some fantastic Elderberry creations! Check out my previous posts on Immune-Boosting Elderberry Smoothie and Elderberry French Toast!
Elderberries have been used medicinally for centuries to cure every ailment ‘from toothache to the plague’1. In a fourteenth century cookbook, the Forme of Cury, produced by the Chief Master of Cooks of Richard II, there is a recipe for Sambocade.
(Picture Source: http://www.celtnet.org.uk)
What is Sambocade:
Sambocade is a medieval Elderberry Cheesecake made with a rich shortcrust pastry, and filled with a cream cheese and egg filling.
Sambocade. Take and make a crust in a trap & take cruddes and wryng out þe wheyze and drawe hem þurgh a straynour and put hit in þe crust. Do þerto sugar the þridde part, & somdel whyte of ayren, & shake þerin blomes of elren; & bake it vp with eurose, & messe it forth.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp elderberry cordial
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
- Add two eggs to the mixture and stir until the dough binds together. Add milk, a teaspoon at a time, if the mixture is too dry.
- Wrap the dough in Saran wrap and chill 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a deep pie dish or tart tin.
- Using a rolling pin or a glass, roll the dough into a circle, about ¼" thick.
- Transfer dough into the greased pie dish or tart tin.
- In a bowl, cream together 4 egg yolks and sugar until almost white and shiny, then gradually add the cream cheese, beating well after each addition until well blended. Stir in the breadcrumbs and elderberry cordial.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 4 egg whites until shiny and stiff, then fold these into the cheesy mixture. Spoon into the pre-baked crust. Bake in the oven for about 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche
Shortcrust pastry inspired by: BritishFoods.about.com
Sambocade inspired by: Food.com
Where to buy Elderberry products:
If you’re looking for Elderberry Products, I highly recommend NormsFarms. They have high-quality ingredients and specialize in all things elderberries!
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.