I love Quinoa. It has rich amounts of protein, fiber, iron, lysine, magnesium, and riboflavin, in addition to containing all 9 essential amino acids.1 No wonder there is so much hype about it. It’s a super-food!
I also love stir-fry. Fresh veggies, lightly fried in olive oil is a great way to include a large variety of vegetables into one dish.
Oh, and I love spicy food. I have been raised in New Mexico for the majority of my life, and I have grown to crave all things spicy. The hotter, the better.
I thought it would be a really happy evening
if I combined all three!
Spicy, salty, and flavorful — this healthy meal will leave you feeling full and satisfied!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- 2.5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 diced roma tomato
- 1 tbsp chlii garlic sauce or 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Add quinoa, bring back to a boil, then cover and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, broccoli, carrots and jalapeno and sautée for 10-12 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Add 1.5 cups chicken broth, corn, lemon, cumin, and salt, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more broth if necessary to keep from burning.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth, 2 tbsp olive oil, tomatoes, 1 cup cooked quinoa and hot sauce and mix together over medium heat, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Check out Natural Living Monday on Natural Living Mamma for some other great recipes and tips!
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.