In my early-twenties I became obsessed with Food Network.
I had gone through my college years without any cable, because I couldn’t afford it, but a few years later I started my career and was finally making enough money to get Dish Network. Quite the life milestone, right?
Once I had not only unlimited access to the Food Network, but a DVR where I could record Iron Chef America, Rachael Ray and Emeril until my heart’s content — life was good! I watched sooo many cooking shows. It remember it being a really fun, kind of expensive part of my life because I was buying so many groceries while trying out ALL of the recipes.
I forget what show I was watching where I first saw a chef make chicken parmesan. I had heard of chicken parmesan, but had never actually tried it. But, I do remember being confused about the name, thinking a dish with the word parmesan in it should contain more parmesan!
I decided to google it and felt validated that I am not the only one asking this question.
Despite the confusion with the name, I went ahead and made chicken parm for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it! The first version I made included a bottle of Prego, pre-shredded cheese and breadcrumbs with 50+ingredients in it.
Today I am still making chicken parmesan, but with much cleaner ingredients. Since I have pinned down a clean eating chicken parmesan recipe that my family all enjoys, I am going to teach my children how to make it (in between Pioneer Woman recipes, that is).
If you’ve been looking for a tried and true clean eating chicken parmesan recipe, this is for you!
Clean Eating Chicken Parmesan
Clean Eating Chicken Parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28- oz crushed organic tomatoes
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup parmigiano reggiano shredded
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 8 oz whole wheat penne
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add in onion and saute 3 minutes, until starting to soften. Add garlic cloves and saute one minute. Add in organic tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs together in a shallow baking dish. Add breadcrumbs and shredded parmesan to another shallow baking dish. Pound chicken breasts until 1" thick, then season both sides with salt.
- Individually, coat each chicken breast with eggs then dredge with panko parm mixture until coated. Place on prepared baking sheet then bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven then top with 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 of the mozzarella. Return chicken to the oven and bake 10 additional minutes, until cheese is melted.
- While chicken is finishing in the oven, cook penne until al dente.
- To plate: spoon a fourth of the penne into a bowl, top with desired amount of tomato sauce, then place a chicken breast on top. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Do you want to save this recipe for later? Click on the link below and you can pin it to your favorite clean eating Pinterest board!
More Clean Eating Recipes
- Free Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Clean Eating Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
- Organic Banana Bread Recipe
- Clean Eating Chicken Lasagna
- Clean Eating Chili Spice Mix
- Clean Eating Mug Cakes
I love learning how to create things from scratch, so I know what ingredients go into everything from homemade face scrubs to clean eating recipes. I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with other families so they can have a healthier home, too!