Want to learn how to make a homemade floor cleaner? Here are a few recipes to try on all types of floors!
I love homemade cleaning products.
When you make homemade cleaning products, you get to control what ingredients go into it. They also happen to be inexpensive, better for the environment, and they’re healthier for your children, pets, and for you!
Why I Started Making Homemade Floor Cleaner
The very first homemade cleaner I tried out was a homemade floor cleaner for mopping. It was a couple years ago when my daughter, Elle, had just learned to crawl. I was moping the kitchen, she wanted to see what I was up to, so she crawled onto the wet, newly mopped floor. I had been using a commercial floor cleaner, and her poor little legs broke out into a horrible rash.
In case you’re curious about the safety of the commercial floor cleaner you’ve been using, search it on EWG to get it’s rating (like grades, they score A through F) and learn about any safety issues.
The one I was using is rated D for concerns of asthma/respiratory issues, skin allergies & irritation, development & reproductive toxicity, cancer, and moderate environmental concerns.
How to Make Homemade Floor Cleaner
After the adverse skin reaction to chemical floor cleaners, I sought out to find an easy, affordable, and SAFE homemade floor cleaner recipe.
I was instantly surprised at how easy it was! Basically, a really great floor cleaner consists of two ingredients: Vinegar and Water.
What you need:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 gallons hot water
- 10 drops essential oils (optional — I like orange, lemon, and tea tree)
- 1/4 cup borax (optional — for really dirty floors)
How to do it :
- Fill up your kitchen sink with hot water until about half way full (2 gallons). Add 1 cup vinegar, and any essential oils or borax.
- Mop as normal!
Why Vinegar and Water Works
- Vinegar has a high acidity level, which makes it an effective mold, bacteria, and germ killer. Vinegar and water alone are a great way to clean your floor.
- Borax is a natural mineral compound that serves as a fungicide and a disinfectant. Note: it can be toxic if swallowed or handled openly around food, so use with caution and keep out of the reach of children and pets. If your floor is extra dirty, you can add 1/4 cup borax to the vinegar/water mixture.
- Lemon essential oil is one of my go-to cleaning oils for its antibacterial properties and its uplifting scent. It masks the smell of vinegar well, so I usually add 5 drops to my vinegar/water solution.
- Tea tree essential oil is a great cleaning oil because it has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. I usually add 5 drops of it, along with lemon to ensure a clean, disinfected floor.
What Types of Floors can this be used on?
This floor cleaner is great for tile and laminate flooring.
Inspired to “green” your other cleaning products? Check out my Homemade Cleaning Products!
I love learning how to create things from scratch, so I know what ingredients go into everything from homemade face scrubs to clean eating recipes. I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with other families so they can have a healthier home, too!