Homemade Foot Soak with Rosemary & Lemon
There are few things in life that are as relaxing as a good, long foot soak. It wasn’t until I delved into the natural-living world that I even thought about a homemade foot soak! The only exposure I had to foot soaks was when I got a pedicure… and as wonderful as those feel, I am always a little apprehensive about the ingredients they put into the foot baths (along with the other feet that have been there).
Since our feet are home to the largest pores on our body (think the bigger the hole, the more than can be absorbed), I am cautious with what I stick my feet into, and I generally wear socks or shoes when I am in any foreign or questionable environment. That being said, homemade foot soaks are definitely the way to go!
You can prepare a homemade foot soak in a few minutes, with ingredients that are readily available. There are also wonderful health benefits and detox properties of this foot soak, so while you indulge and take a load off your long day, you can pat yourself on the back for doing something good for your body as well!
Homemade Foot Soak
- A few sprigs fresh (or dried) rosemary
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1/2 cup epsom salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add in rosemary. Allow to boil 5 minutes, so the rosemary infuses into the water. Remove from heat.
In a large container big enough to fit your feet into, layer sliced lemons onto the bottom, then sprinkle in epsom salt and baking soda. Pour in hot water with rosemary, and allow to cool enough to where you can put your feet into the container without burning them.
Soak feet in the mixture for 15 – 30 minutes.
Why those ingredients?
– Rosemary may help relieve fatigue and cleanse the skin. Additionally, this study showed rosemary has hepatoprotective effects (ability to prevent damage to the liver).
– Lemons are well known for their detoxifying benefits. They are also rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which may help the body neutralize cell-damaging free radicals (source).
– Epsom salt is great for sore, achy muscles, and also provides the body with magnesium (read about magnesium’s benefits here).
– Baking soda is another well known detoxifying agent that can help cleanse the body from toxins (source).
The combination of the four ingredients with the hot water will leave your tired, achy feet feeling rejuvenated, while your body and mind feel relaxed.