One of my friends, Danielle, wrote a guest post on Natural Living Mamma, sharing a homemade facial cleansing recipe that she uses. She hasn’t had success using the Oil Cleansing Method, but found this recipe works great for her skin. It is a wonderful recipe, and she was kind enough to let me share it on my blog as well!
Honey and Oatmeal Facial Scrub
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 tsp dried lavender (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Run oatmeal through the blender to break it up a bit. You don’t want it be too powdery, just break it up a tiny bit.
- Transfer oatmeal back into the measuring cup.
- Add remaining ingredients. You can also add dried lavender if you have it. This is completely optional. I’ve made it with and without it, and it works great both ways! I just really love lavender!
- Stir to combine all ingredients. It will be a bit crumbly. Add more honey to mixture if necessary to combine.
- Transfer the scrub to a small Tupperware or glass container with a lid.
Use this scrub as you would any other facial scrub/cleanser. Apply olive oil or other moisturizer as needed. One batch should last 2 weeks, if used daily.
Here’s why it works:
- Honey can control and reduce breakouts, it has great moisturizing properties and has antiseptic qualities that can reduce scars and encourage wound healing. 1
- In addition to being a great exfoliant, oatmeal is packed full of healing amino acids, and it’s hypoallergenic and moisturizing.2
- Nutmeg has incredible astringent, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an awesome choice for people with acne-prone skin.
- Lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties, soothing agitated or broken out skin. It also has a calming, pleasant scent.
- Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, and immune stimulant properties that help heal and prevent acne and blemishes.
This is a wonderful, healthy and homemade facial cleanser, that I will be incorporating into my daily facial routine. Thanks for sharing Danielle and Natural Living Mamma!!
Danielle lives with her husband, Dan, and 2 year old daughter, Zoey. They currently reside in Central Florida, where their daughter undergoes chemotherapy treatment for leukemia. She enjoys reading, walks, and all things crafty.