I received a Halo Bassinest for purposes of this review. I was not obligated to write a positive review in return for this product. Everything in this review, as always, is written by me and reflects my honest opinion 🙂
HALO Bassinest Review & Safe Sleeping Tips for Baby
When I was shopping for a new bassinet while pregnant, the HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper kept pulling up at the top of my search queries. It looked sleek, convenient, and like the perfect bassinet for my little one. I spent several hours reading all of the reviews I could find on the bassinet, and the people who tried it, loved it.
I had heard of the HALO company before, mainly from their SleepSack wearable blankets. I actually had one when my daughter was a baby, and loved that I could feel safe giving her a wearable blanket, without worrying about loose blankets in the crib or bassinet with her.
HALO is a company I have grown to trust, and with good reason. They have won numerous awards in baby safety, including a 2008 Commendation Award for Product Innovation for Consumer Safety, and the International Hip Dysplasia Institute recognition for “Hip Healthy” swaddle sack design. You can read about all of their awards and accreditations here.
They also do a tremendous amount of promotion on safe sleeping for infants, and are working with more than 1,300 hospitals in the US and Canada to offer the HALO Safer Way to Sleep Initiative. When it comes to my baby’s sleep, safety is my absolute first concern, and I feel safer at night, using HALO’s products with my babies.
After hearing how many people loved the HALO Bassinest, I had to have it. I received the HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper – Essentia Series, had my husband put it together, then I anxiously awaited for my bundle of joy to arrive!
Cool Features of the Bassinest
My son was born almost three weeks ago, and has been sleeping in the HALO Bassinest since we brought him home from the hospital.
My favorite thing about the HALO Bassinest is how close I can get the bassinet to me, while I am laying in my bed. I want to be physically close to my son, while still keeping him safely in his own space. The HALO Bassinest has an adjustable height that allows the bassinet to move from 22″ to 34″ tall, which allows me to adjust the bassinet to my eye-level when I am laying in my California King size bed.
The second coolest feature that I absolutely love about this bassinet is its ability to rotate and swivel 360 degrees. Its mobility allows me to lay down in bed and swivel the bassinet right next to me, with ease. Then, if I have to get up to change a diaper in the middle of the night, I can swivel the bassinet back, which provides me with enough space to get safely out of bed. I also appreciated the easy movement when I was recovering from labor. I imagine this would be especially helpful for moms who have had a c-section, and have trouble getting in and out of bed. (And actually, one of my friends, who had a scheduled c-section, ended up buying one of these after I raved to her about it!)
The sidewall of the bassinet lowers, to allow easy access to baby for midnight feedings. My newborn is nursing every hour or two right now, and it is great to be able to lower down the sidewall, and pick him up out of the bassinet, without having to get out of bed.
The base is heavy and solid, making it almost impossible to knock over, so I feel safe having my baby in the bassinet. We don’t have big dogs inside, but I imagine that would be a huge advantage for a family that does have dogs and are worried about them knocking over the bassinet. I can’t imagine any dog of any size would have the strength to knock this down.
Other features/product specs:
- Maximum weight of baby: 30 pounds
- Rotates and swivels 360 degrees
- Sidewall lowers for easy access to baby
- Base tucks under bed, making it great for small spaces
- Includes storage pocket for diapers, wipes, or other baby items
- Stable, 4-point base adjusts from 22″ to 34″ tall
- Clean, stylish design
- Recommended as one of the safest alternatives to bedsharing by the CJ Foundation for SIDS
The HALO® Bassinest™ Swivel Sleeper Essentia Series is new (just came out in January!) and retails for $219. You can purchase it from Amazon, and check out how much the other users love their bassinet while you’re there!
You can also see in the picture above, that my baby is wearing HALO’s new 100% cotton SleepSack Swaddle. I love this swaddle blanket, so much. He loves to be swaddled, and sleeps easily for up to 4 hours when he is in this swaddle. I also appreciate that it just swaddles his arms and torso, and not his hips or legs, which is recommended for safe swaddling.
Safe Sleep Tips for Infants
Keeping your little ones safe while they’re asleep is a concern for all parents. Here are some wonderful tips from HALO to ensure your baby sleeps safely:
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and at night time.
- Room-share, but don’t bed share; the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend against bed sharing as it can lead to an increased risk for accidental suffocation.
- Use a crib or bassinet that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snugly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Breastfeed, if possible, but when finished, put your baby back to sleep in his or her separate safe sleep area alongside your bed.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
I love learning how to create things from scratch, so I know what ingredients go into everything from homemade face scrubs to clean eating recipes. I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with other families so they can have a healthier home, too!