Have you been looking for an easy recipe for clean eating french onion soup that still delivers the savory warmth of traditional french onion soup? Then you’ve come to the right place!
My mom first introduced me to french onion soup (and Gruyere cheese) when I was in college. She made a large batch of it while visiting me over the holidays, and I remember being initially apprehensive about it. I mean – sure, I appreciated the flavor of onions in a dish, but a whole bowl full of soup that tasted like onions? IDK.
But once I tasted the french onion soup she made, there was no more apprehension — it was rich and savory and ohhh sooo delicious. It was one of the must satisfying bites of soup I had ever had.
Luckily for me, my mom taught me how to make french onion soup about a decade ago, and I’ve been able to recreate it numerous time over the years. I’ve slightly adjusted her recipe to make it clean eating friendly, and wanted to share it with you!
Clean Eating French Onion Soup
Here is my clean eating french onion soup recipe. It truly is soul warming, comforting, and indulgent (but, without the guilt!). This is my absolute favorite soup, and I truly hope you love it as much as I do!
Print the Recipe | Clean Eating French Onion Soup
Want to print this recipe for clean eating french onion soup to hang on your fridge or share with a friend? Here you go!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tbsp organic whole wheat flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add in onions and bay leaves and saute until soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add in garlic, thyme and wine, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until wine evaporates.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme, then sprinkle organic whole wheat flour on top. Cook on low for 10 minutes, then slowly add in beef broth. Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese. Enjoy!
Pin it | Clean Eating French Onion Soup
If you want to make this clean eating french onion soup, but don’t have the time/ingredients/energy right now, no problem! Just click on the image below to save to your favorite clean eating board, and you can find it when you’re ready to make it!