I have big issues with cleaning my oven.
My oven has a “self-cleaning” mode, which for all I can tell, does absolutely nothing to clean it. All it does is stink up and heat up my house. Then I have a stinky, hot house with a dirty oven. It’s no good.
I’m embarrassed to admit that my oven was in really horrible shape. Really Bad. About 2 months back, I decided to try a homemade oven cleaner method. It consisted of making a paste of baking soda and water, turning the oven on 400 degrees and baking the baking soda mix for an hour. Umm… it didn’t work very well. I scrubbed and scrubbed, nothing came off, and I ended up with a thick yucky baking soda residue in my oven 🙁
My mom came to visit me for the Thanksgiving holiday, and told me she recently cleaned her oven with a baking soda mix. I was perplexed that she had such success with the same ingredients, when my attempt was such an epic failure. So what was the difference in our methods? My mom didn’t use heat. She also had the great idea to add some vinegar to the mix, and vinegar is a miracle cleaner.
Here’s what you need
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup of water
- an empty spray bottle
- 1/2 cup vinegar
Here’s how you do it
- Mix together 1/2 cup baking soda with 1/4 cup of water (more or less) to make a paste.
- Remove racks from the oven
- Rub baking soda paste onto the inside of the door, floors and walls of the oven
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar to a clean spray bottle. Spray vinegar liberally on top of the paste.
- Set a timer for 20 minutes… and wait!
- Using a rag, wipe off the oven, making circular motions to remove tough grease spots. It takes a little time and some elbow grease, but it should come off a LOT easier than before.
- For any really thick, tough grease spots, you can use a metal spatula to assist in scraping them off.
- Once you’ve cleaned everything, spray on a little more vinegar and wipe clean with a paper towel.
What method works for cleaning your oven?
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.