I always joke with my friends that I am not that great of a baker. I can cook all day long, and most of my food turns out great… but 9 times out of 10, my cookies are flat, my cakes sink, and my dough doesn’t rise.
I have a theory that the world is made up of those who were born to bake, and those who were born to cook. You can guess which category I fall into.
Baking takes precise measurements, patience, and all around precision.
I prefer to grab a handful of this, a pinch of that, and I avoid measuring when at all possible.
I won’t count how many times I knead dough, or how long I have been mixing batter.
Just… no. I don’t like it.
But, if the instructions and ingredients are simple enough, I generally do okay with baking. Even my flat cookies taste pretty decent, texture aside.
So now that I have admitted that I am not an inherently talented baker, I am sure you are excited to try my recipe for Homemade Peach Cobbler right?!
Okay, this is probably not the most impressive recipe intro, but stay with me. This recipe is super easy, has less than 10 ingredients (none of which come from a box, with yucky chemical ingredients), and it takes less than an hour. And it happens to taste great! It’s hard to mess up, so it’s right up my alley.
The batter is sweet and crunchy, and rises to the top as it bakes. The peaches are soft, and melt in your mouth. And the fragrance of fresh summer peaches with lingering hints of cinnamon… it will make your home happy.
Homemade Peach Cobbler
- 4 cups fresh peaches
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel peaches, cut flesh away from pit and slice.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine peaches, 1/2 cup of sugar, cinnamon and water. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut butter into 8 pieces, spread out into a 3 quart baking dish, and place into the oven to melt.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 1 cup of sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Add milk, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until smooth. Pour flour mixture over melted butter (don't stir), then spoon the peach syrup on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, until cooked through.
Looking for other yummy dessert ideas?
What is your favorite dessert to make with peaches?