Norm’s Farms sent me a sample of elderflowers for the purposes of this review. All opinions, as always, are my own.
If you have spent much time browsing healthy or natural living websites, you’ve likely encountered a thing or two about the Elder plant.
The Elder plant is one fantastic herb, and it has been used medicinally for hundreds of years. One study showed that black elderberry extract shortens flu symptoms. Other Elder advocates boast of its anti-inflammatory, anti-cancerous, and anti-viral properties, claiming it helps treat respiratory illnesses, arthritis and helps boost the immune system.
As with any ingredients, you want to make sure you’re buying your food from a reputable source. I have been using Norm’s Farms elderberry products for a couple years now, and have been beyond impressed with the wide assortment of high-quality elderberry products (grown in the US) they make. Norm’s Farms line of elderberry products include elderberry extract and today’s focus, dried elderflowers.
If you’ve been wanting to make your own herbal remedies, or just try a healthy and tasty treat, here are several great uses for dried elderflowers:
Uses for Dried Elderflowers
- Make Elderberry Syrup to add to sparkling water, cocktails or as a substitute for sugar
- Try making Elderflower Cordial to add a sweetness and light floral touch to your drink
- And who wouldn’t want to try their hand at making Elderflower Wine?
- Make Elderflower Jelly for pudding (pretty and tasty!)
- Create a festive and tasty Summer Solstice Cordial
- Craft a Healing Lotion with elderflower, calendula and dried lavender
- Make an Herbal Infusion tea to help combat allergies
- Make some Elderberry Lemonade
You can learn how to dry your own elderflowers, if you happen to have access to Elder plants. Make sure to do some research on the various types of plants, as some species contain berries and parts of the plant that are toxic.
If you don’t have access to elder plants, or don’t want to dry your own, you can find them very reasonably priced at Norm’s Farms.
Do you have any favorite uses for dried elderflowers?
I love learning how to create things from scratch, so I know what ingredients go into everything from homemade face scrubs to clean eating recipes. I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with other families so they can have a healthier home, too!