Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Let me recap this week for you.
First, my husband, my 3-year old, and I all got the flu. We spent most of the week fighting off fevers, battling headaches, coughing, and all of the other unpleasant things that the flu brings.
Then, this morning, we are just recovering from the flu, and I woke up to a kitchen flooded with water. Probably 1/2″ thick with water… my entire kitchen floor was covered. Apparently, we didn’t cover our outside faucet, and the water in the hose backed up into the faucet, into our home, and busted a pipe behind our dryer. Then, water began to spew into our entire kitchen, and made its way onto our carpet… bathroom… gah.
Needless to say, I’m due for a bit of comfort food. And maybe some ice cream after that. And then perhaps a glass of wine. Or two.
I always forget how good homemade chicken and dumplings are. When I visualize them in my head, I think of soggy biscuit dough, and it doesn’t sound so good. But before you click off the page, let me say there is absolutely no soggy biscuit dough in this recipe.
This chicken and dumplings recipe is made using big chunks of chicken breast, fresh vegetables, and homemade dumpling dough. And, because it’s comfort food, the dough may, or may not have heavy cream in it.
Okay, spoiler alert, it has heavy cream.
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 4 cups chicken breast, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper, and pour into a large ziploc bag. Add cubed chicken, and shake until well coated. In a large pot, warm olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add floured chicken, and brown on all sides. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot, add celery, carrots and onions, and cook until translucent. Add in garlic and thyme, and cook another minute. Pour in chicken broth, chicken, and bay leaf, then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly pour in heavy cream and butter, and mix until a dough forms. Form dough into tablespoon-sized balls, and drop into chicken soup. There should be enough for 8-10 dumplings. Allow to simmer an additional 12 minutes, for dough to cook through.*
- *Updated to make some modifications
Looking for other heart warming soups? Check out these other favorites!
Do you have a favorite Chicken and Dumplings Recipe? What is your favorite comfort food?
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Posts may contain affiliate links, which helps me buy supplies to make more great posts to share! Please see my Disclaimer Section for additional information.