I have been buying a ton of asparagus lately, because it’s delicious, and I’ve been trying to come up with new ways to prepare it. While I absolutely love asparagus tossed with a little olive oil, s&p, and grilled, it also lends itself well to more complex main dishes!
And I was right!
The perfect dish for summer
This is such a perfect dish for late spring and early summer. It’s easy and quick to prepare, so you’re not slaving away in a hot kitchen for an hour. I love that it has fresh, crisp asparagus spears, tossed with the bright flavors of fresh lemon. It is also made with mostly clean ingredients, and is well balanced, so you body will feel nourished after this delicious dinner!
I served my lemon & asparagus chicken stir fry with fried rice, because my very kind co-worker had brought me some fresh eggs from her chickens. And, to be honest, fried rice is one of the few dishes my picky 6-year-old will actually eat! But this lemon & asparagus stir fry also pairs excellent with a homemade cauliflower rice, or steamed brown rice.
Makes great leftovers… if there are any 🙂
I have quite the commute to work, so I pack my lunch every day (so much healthier, and less expensive than eating out!). I put my leftovers in my glass meal prep lunch containers, and bring them with me to work. The same co-worker who provides me with fresh eggs is always being tortured with the smell of my warmed-up leftovers. She says my food always smells so good, and it makes her hungry.
I feel a little guilty! Maybe I should start bringing enough for her, too 🙂Alright, here is the recipe! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Lemon & Asparagus Chicken Stir fry
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder you can substitute GMO-free cornstarch
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, create a slurry with the water and arrowroot powder. Add in garlic, ginger and zest and juice from the lemon. Stir well.
- Wash the asparagus, and remove woody ends. Cut spears into 2" pieces.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Add chicken to the pan, and saute for 5 minutes, until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Pour another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, then add asparagus spears. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 - 5 minutes, until softened, but still crisp.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and pour sauce over the top. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
If you love asparagus as much as I do, here are some more of my favorite recipes:
I love learning how to create things from scratch, so I know what ingredients go into everything from homemade face scrubs to clean eating recipes. I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with other families so they can have a healthier home, too!